JESUS ANNOUNCES PETER'S BETRAYAL - WEDNESDAY OF THE FIRST WEEK OF LENT

 

Jesus said, “Simon, Simon, behold; Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed that your own faith may not fail; and once you have turned back - you must strengthen your brothers.”
Peter said to him, “Lord I am prepared to go to prison and to die with you.”
But He replied, “I tell you, Peter, before the cock crows this day, you will deny three times that you know me

- Luke 22:31- 34

Here, Jesus looks ahead to the imminent failure of the disciples. They will abandon him; Peter will do worse... after abandoning Jesus along with the rest, he'll deny him not once, but three times.
So looking ahead to this, what does Jesus say to Peter?

He says that he has prayed for him, that Peter may not ultimately fail as a disciple.
Jesus prayed for Peter. He was on Peter's side, even though He knew what Peter would do.

Imagine that.

Now, imagine, if you will, Jesus praying for you, or me.
Jesus on our side.
There is no need to imagine it. In John's account of the Last Supper, Jesus says, “I pray not only for them. but also for those who will believe in me through their word.”

He is talking about me, and, hopefully, he's talking about YOU.

Do I ever really think of Jesus praying for me ...not only back then, but today?
If Jesus were to pray for me right now – or you - what would he especially pray for?

- excerpted from "The Little Black Book: 6-minute meditations on the Passion according to Luke"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Benedict Bascop - The Traveling Saint From England

COEXIST? No.

The Assumption of Mary